The UJFD was formed in 1913 by a group of townspeople who were worried about protecting their homes and businesses. The first piece of fire fighting equipment in the town was a chemical tank mounted on two wagon wheels and stored in a one-door shed connected to the Elbridge Nealy furniture and jewelry store on Park Street. In 1936 a fire station was built at the corner of Park Street and Route 15. The station housed a 1923 Model-T Ford and a 1927 Packard Coupe that were customized with two forty-gallon chemical tanks. In 1936 the town of Jericho started providing contributions and the department began maintaining fire protection for Jericho and Underhill. As the towns grew, so did the fire department. A 1942 army surplus Chevrolet truck, with a 500 gallon per minute pump, was purchased. The first factory built fire truck, an International Model V196 was purchased in 1964. The Underhill-Jericho Fire Department currently operates six pieces of fire fighting apparatus. Each truck carries a mix of fire fighting and auto extrication equipment.
The UJFD fire fighting apparatus operate out of two fire stations. The Jericho substation is located on Brown’s Trace Road in Jericho Center and was built in 1982 on land that was donated to the department by Don and Alice Rivers. This substation is used primarily as a quick response station to calls in Jericho Center. The Underhill station is located at 420 Route 15 in Underhill Village and serves as the main station. The station was built in 1997 and was designed to serve as a fire station and an emergency operations center. This building consists of a 6400 sq. ft. apparatus bay area and a 4100 sq. ft. administrative section.